How to make delicious vegan brownies
One of my favourite things in this world is a good brownie. Brownies, for me, are about both the flavour and texture in equal measure and getting both right is a tough feat! They should taste rich and chocolatey without being sickly and have a smooth, fudgy texture, but crispy edges just for a bit of contrast in the bite. My vegan brownie recipe delivers all of that!
I found it hard enough to achieve the perfect texture when using eggs and dairy (that I’m used to baking with), so it took me a few attempts before I mastered the vegan recipe with ingredients I was less familiar with. However, after A LOT of trial and error I finally got there! This is my vegan brownie recipe that now works every time. Enjoy!
113g vegan butter (melted)
200g white sugar
100g brown sugar
150ml vegan milk
150g plain flour
75g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C and grease a 10 x 6 inch rectangular baking dish
- Melt the vegan butter in the microwave (I find a 30 second blast on full 800W power does the trick)
- Add the sugars and vegan milk and mix until smooth
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and stir into the wet mixture, making sure to get rid of all the lumps
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 18 minutes (exactly!)
- Remove from oven and put the pan on a wire rack to cool
- Cut the brownies in the pan (they’ll be wonderfully fudgy, so best to keep them in the pan until you cut and eat them, as it will help them hold their shape)
For the vegan butter I like to use Stork baking block as I find that it has the right fat content and doesn’t alter the flavour of my bakes like some other vegan butters do. For the vegan milk I find that oat gives a nice creamy flavour and texture, while others like soya are thinner and can alter the flavour of the bake.
Keep the closest eye on your baking brownies as even a minute over or under will make a massive difference to the texture! Over cooking will leave them cakey and under cooking will mean they fall apart easily
Cooling the brownies in the pan is important as it gives them a little residual heat just to set. These are super fudgy brownies, so they need all the help they can get to hold their shape and a slow cool like this will do the trick
You can also buy a box of these delicious brownies, delivered to your door. They’re great for special occasions, or just to send some love.